Monday, March 22, 2010

Final Blog Post, Nancy Gordy

Throughout this term I have grown as a writer in several ways. From discovering what a wiki is, to using twitter, to writing my first blog post, and creating a wordle, my knowledge of the many tools available for journalists online has grown significantly.

Technology has played a large role in my writing as a journalist. With the use of the web I'm able to access an array of information that i now know how to filter by simply checking for signs of credibility. Technology also has allowed me to partake in the exciting world of social networking. Sites such as facebook and twitter provide journalists with an incredible ability to interact with others all over the world and be aware of information faster than ever before. I do remain skeptical of twitter, but have been able to realize some of the benefits the site can provide. I think it is much easier to benefit in the same way however, by using other sites.
In Erik's blog about Journalism 2.o, he also outlines the importance of technology and the advancements that have occurred in journalism because of it.

Through the process of completing Copy Editing and Proofreading, I have learned that I have the ability to learn and adapt to new things a lot easier than i expected. I have always been quite critical of many of the aspects of the online world and thought it wasn't for me (twitter, however, will remain not for me), but I have been proved otherwise.

Having never written a blog post prior to this course, creating an online portfolio has allowed me to focus more on my writing skills in order to carry across my points of view on certain topics. My online portfolio has made me look at certain topics in a broader sense. The class blog has provided us with the ability to critique each others work and learn from input from others in order to make our writing stronger.

As a journalist I have noticed that I will have to forever continue to adapt and learn, and this I am more than willing to do.

A speech by Kevin Marsh on the BBC website provides some excellent characteristics of a good journalist.

Here are the links to my 5 comments of other blog posts:

Note: Image from Toothpaste for Dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Nancy, nice reflective post. Interesting how you've noted that the numerous blog posts and other activities we've done (you mention wikis, twitter and wordle) have encouraged you to review your own writing and think broadly about topics.

    Since your final post is up before the deadline, may I suggest that you don't forget to proofread and edit it before the final due date...

    ReplyDelete