Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Final Blog Post, Matt White

To say the least, Proofing Reading and Copy Editing has been an interesting class. The exposure to the mass amounts of social media sites and online journalism tools has definently had a positive effect on my future in this business. Reading blogs about Journalism 2.0, learning how to use flickr images, and finally, writing my own blogs, has provided me with a plethora of new ideas and paths to take on my journey as a journalist.

Before beginning this class, I had never in my life posted a blog. The concept just didn't interest me at the time. But as I was taught more and more about the medium, and exposed to it in the journalism world, I was hooked. Blogging provides journalists with an outlet that is accessible anywhere, anytime, and by anyone who cares to look (and has access to the internet obviously.) This is a fantastic method of networking and an easy way to expose your talent on a world-wide scale.

Technology has been a big part of this class. In fact, almost everything we've done has been on the computer, using the internet. I definently see technology remaining a huge factor in my success as a journalist. It's only logical that technology will continue to evolve, so you have to really embrace it. However, as important as technology is, without the writing, you have nothing.

My next step is simple: finish school. When I am done this program, hopefully I'll be able to get a job as a journalist in a small town. From there I can get hands on work in the field I need in order to be successful

Here are some of the comments I've made on other students blog posts throughout the term.

Lastly, because balance is so crutial in journalism, here are Nancy's thoughts and reflections on the course.

Image by Geek&Poke on flickr

1 comment:

  1. Matthew!
    1 crutial sp. error! (the correct spelling is crucial)

    Otherwise great post :)

    ReplyDelete