Monday, April 12, 2010

It's For The Birds - Elliott, Katie


I used to hate Twitter. A lot.

I did not understand why anyone would waste time reading peoples self-involved status updates. My thoughts usually ran like this: "I don't care if your having a sandwich!" or "That's great you like your new outfit, and oh how exciting it is you get to wear it when you go out tonight with your 'gurlz'." Gag...

But since I was forced into learning and using the website at J-school, I began exploring the site and its uses. To my suprise, I discovered it has useful purposes and I found it interesting and almost exciting. So much so, I am openly able to say, "I like Twitter."

Here is why.

Twitter runs in the now. News is updated constantly and frequently and I can be provided with information from a variety of sources at one time. Just glancing at he screen now I am able to see that @weirdcanada recently posted "WYRD ALBERTA MIXTAPE! " along side a link to the website that contains the new Wyrd mixtape. The Wyrd Music Festival is the reason I first started following @weirdcanada in the first place; so I am very excited to be getting new news on the event and be apart of the hype. Plus, I get to check out some song I have likely never heard before and that is something I always enjoy.

Twitter fills people in on breaking news, music updates, concert announcements, and creates an online community message board, only without the tape, thumbtacks, and asking the owner for permission and a stamp.

Messages are short and sweet, and they call them tweets... that was lame right?I just am happy about finding something useful in Twitter, because I was starting to believe the end of the world really was just around the corner. The discovery that the Twitter obsession really does hold some value, has restored my faith in humanity and less concerned about the end of the world being upon us (even if 14 per cent of Americans think Obama is the Anti-Christ). No more panic over the year 2012, I can ease up a bit and get on the year 2036 wagon hysteria.




Image Sources: Allied Bloggers , Our Tuts

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Katie that is deep! I know what you mean about not caring about irrelevant status updates! See what I said about the "look at me generation" in my Twitter blog post. (And in a lame defence, it can be a good way to get more followers!)

    PS. CHANGE (what the..? what change? I am def. not Obama's biggest fan)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good that you've seen both sides of the wall Katie. I think a lot of people get lost in technology, but with thoughtful thinking such as what you have written here, we can further understand our society and how technology effects it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, great picture. I agree. When I first started this Twitter crap, I hated it. But I have found good uses for it and now I'm quite happy that I've stumbled across it.

    ReplyDelete