Monday, April 12, 2010

Final Blog Post, Erik Nelson

While exploring the deep caverns of technology and journalism, I've found that there is always a vast pit of information to explore and understand. Through learning about blogs, twitter, online resources and accuracy, I now have a better grasp on the tools needed to create better stories.

Technology, for a large part, has influenced my writing for the better. Twitter has allowed me to find out what people are talking about with much more success than what would be possible by diving through message boards and forums for the same material. As well, Twitter allows news organizations to post updates and new articles at great speed which allows me to see the most up-to-date news that helps me write better stories.

Perhaps one of the greatest pieces of knowledge I have been taught is the use of the a "Crap Detector", such as the one by Howard Rheingold in Crap Detection 101. The abundant amount of information on the internet may seem marvellous at first sight, however, there are some people in the world that only wish to do others harm, and as such they post information that is not correct. Through the use of crap detection, a reader - such as myself - am able to make informed decisions about the information I use for writing.

Having an online portfolio, such as a blog, is a great tool to get the information you write about into the world where others can read and become informed. I never knew that having a blog to post on was such a fun thing to do while also helping further my writing abilities. The only downside to blogs that I have noticed is the abundance of them and how easy they are to create. As such, getting readership is the biggest issue faced by sprouting journalists who wish to use blogs as a means of starting their journey into online journalism. By using compelling topics and investigative journalism however, I believe that people will want to read what you have to write. As Tyler Grant notes in a blog post, "Blogging is a great idea to get your ideas out there, and to keep up with your craft. Practice does make perfect, and the more you practice, the luckier you get." Using what I have learnt so far, I believe my next steps in becoming a better writer and journalist is to create an online presence where people can come to me for a unique style of writing and to learn about topics that effect them - changing the world one reader at a time.

Below are the comments I have made to others in class throughout the semester.

Comment 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5

Image from Master New Media

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy how you started of your blog. Saying that you have been "exploring the deep caverns of technology and journalism", the imagery is awesome.

    I just have one correction to make becuase I believe I have found a subject-verb agreement error in your last paragraph.

    "Using what I have learnt so far, I believe my next steps in becoming a better writer and journalist is to create an online presence where people can come to me for a unique style of writing and to learn about topics that effect them - changing the world one reader at a time."

    The correction I sugest would be to change the "is" to "are" therefore making the sentance read:

    "Using what I have learnt so far, I believe my next steps in becoming a better writer and journalist are to create an online presence where people can come to me for a unique style of writing and to learn about topics that effect them - changing the world one reader at a time."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting article. I've always been interested in knowing more about this online proofreading .

    ReplyDelete