Monday, April 12, 2010

Final Blog Post, Trevor Robb


Copy Editing and Proofreading has run its course and I can now say with confidence that I do NOT hate Twitter but still am not a fan of bloggers. I get it. Bloggers are the wave of the future yadda yadda ya. I hate repeating myself. If you want my opinions on citizen journalism read my post from the beginning of the year.

Twitter on the other hand has really had a positive effect on my life as a sports fan/ writer. NHL and NFL teams do a fantastic job of updating their Twitter almost every half an hour. I remember the NHL trade deadline this year and me glued to my Twitter account checking up all the latest deals. It was great!

This class has done a great job of bringing social media into the journalism field. At first I resisted. I called nonsense. But I was wrong. I see now that there are many good uses for social networking sites, minus the Gordon Lightfoot fiasco.

Dale Boyd makes a great comment for the other side of the arguement: "Technology has been advancing at an exponential rate for years now, and we (the journalism community) need to learn not to focus too much on the current forms of technological aid, but embrace how it is a constantly changing entity and will be always improving."

We can't let technology take over. Good journalism is about people and their stories. We must always remember this. Technology makes our lives easier and makes it easier for us to communicate but we can't lose our connection to each other.


Here are my 5 comments on other students blogs:






3 comments:

  1. Trevor,

    Good article, you displayed the finer aspects of twitter, and I enjoyed the contrast of opinions displayed. The use of short quick sentences helps you're writing gain a unique tone. For example "This class has done a great job of bringing social media into the journalism field. At first I resisted. I called nonsense. But I was wrong." I enjoyed this post overall and as far as I can see there are no major errors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Proofreading Symbols and Abbreviations are looking excellent! I think, proofreading services are Vastly needed to the publishers!

    ReplyDelete