Monday, April 12, 2010

Final Blog Post, Isaac Kaplyuk




From start to finish (well, until next year, that is) the Journalism program has taught me many crucial skills that will allow me to, hopefully, one day write for an actual publication and to receive remuneration upon that notion. PROW 135, or Proofreading and Copyediting is one of those courses, that within the Journalism program, has both surprised me, and taught me.


Upon my entrance and subsequent time spent in this class, I was surprised to learn the things I did. I was expecting a blithe and dry class that was filled with poring over sheets of copy and tediously editing them-not so in this class. Although there was proofreading and copy-editing happening, it was in a different form. Through the blogs that we were assigned to keep, update and add new posts to, I learned to use various social media such as Twitter, and obviously blogger.com itself. These helped me to gain a wider understanding of the online journalism realm, and to also learn how to create a digital framework for my writing that can help in my future online writing ventures.

Through these blogs, we were asked to proofread and copy edit our peers' work, and to correct them. Also, through assignments such as the We Regret The Error, and the Editing Detective blog posts, I learned to spot errors in professional publications and correct them based upon what I have learned in this class. Through these assignments, I gained a hands-on approach to better gauge my writing, and learn ways in which to check myself and improve overall as a journalist.


Though I never thought I'd use things like Twitter, or Blogger.com, I did, (at first, unwillingly) and social media applications such as these have proved useful for me, even outside of class. I learned how to use these tools, and through our study of the textbook learned various copy-editing and proofreading techniques and symbols. Ultimately, through my progress in this class, I learned little tips and tricks of the trade that have made me a better journalist, and more importantly, a better writer.





Here's 5 of my very intuitive comments...



Uno, Dos, Tres, Cheteri, Pyats

*Note: Image thanks to http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/15-april-h3.jpg

3 comments: