Monday, February 1, 2010

Fact-checking, Tyler Grant


Frank Landry of The Sun was off to a good start by spelling Mary Anne Jablonski correctly. That last name's tough, and I'm sure I would've had to qradruple check it to make sure it was right.


Mr. Landry also comments on a 2% budget cut that Ms. Jablonski is responsible for. I'm not sure what this 2% added to the unmentioned 98% totals. After some searching, I've discovered that Renata D'Aliesio of the Calgary Herald has said the dollar amount Ms. Jablonski's department is trying to trim $11 million. So, that means $11 million is a paltry 2% of a pile of money. Fortunately, the less fortunate of Alberta won't have to suffer this loss of many for the time being.


The funny thing is that Frank Landry's article is from February 1st, and Renata D'Aliesio's article is from January 28th.


Accuracy leads to crediblity. The more mistakes I read in an article, the less chance of me ever finishing it. With the two articles I read, I was left to wonder what surprises the 2010 alberta budget will hold. Is there really that much of a difference in information that is sent to Calagary and Edmonton? Someone's made a mistake here, but I'm not sure who. Back to fact-checking I go.

1 comment:

  1. Tyler
    I enjoyed your blog post. You made some good points. I like your twist on using certain words. (For example, the use of the word "quadruple" in the first paragraph.) The reader should know what the 2% is without research. We as readers shouldn't have to do the fact-checking. I applaud you for doing so.

    I couldn't find any mistakes until the end. You forgot to capitalize Alberta. Otherwise the blog post is interesting and error free. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete