Monday, February 1, 2010

Crap Detection 101, Katie Elliott

BE WARY OF THE INTERNET


In hopes of finding CRAP in Howard Rheingold's article "Crap Detection 101", I find most of his information to pass the CRAP test, meaning it holds all the essential necessities required to be a useful source of information on the web: Currency, Reliability, Authority, Purpose/Point of View.
This being despite the fact that the article hasn't been updated since June 2009, and here we are already in February of 2010, the information still holds truth and the links all seem to still work properly. Even, to my surprise and horror, the very suspicious, shocking, and completely disturbing website for the LASIK do-it-yourself-at-home eye surgery. (Which I strongly recommend, you DO NOT try at home.)

A thorough bio of Rheingold is attached to the article, which definitely paints him as a credible source. There is a lot of his background information, including the fact that he teaches Digital Journalism at Stanford and Virtual Community/Social Media at Berkeley.

Over all, I believe this is a good source of information, especially for those who have yet to understand, that just because it is on the internet, doesn’t mean it is true. ….so, do you believe me?



NOTE: Image from Buncombe County News

2 comments:

  1. Katie,

    Your blog post is written ALMOST perfectly! I really enjoy your style of writing. You incorporate humor into your post very well.

    I wasn't able to find any spelling errors and it seems to be well edited by yourself considering I wasn't able to find anything!

    The only comment I can make is with the use of "….so, do you believe me?" at the end. I don't believe this is grammatically correct but can be easily fixed!

    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie
    I agree with Nancy that yourblog post was nicely done. I too could not find any spelling errors.

    One thing that did catch my attention though was the sentence that begins with Even, to my surprise and horror.... No matter how many times I read that sentence it does not make sense. It is not complete. Somthing needs to be added after the link to complete the thought.

    I also enjoyed your humour in the blogpost.
    (Humour without the "u" is an American spelling.)

    ReplyDelete