Monday, February 1, 2010

Crap Detection 101, Tyler Grant

The first thing I noticed about Howard Rheingold's article is that it was posted on the 30th of June, 2009 at 3:12p.m. Has nothing changed in half a year? At the rate the internet changes, a lot of misinformation could arise that one would invariably have to sift through.

His credentials are top-notch though: he teaches at Berkley, Standford, and De Montfort University in England. Despite this, however, his references come from a drawn out anecdote about teaching his daughter how to wade through scores of crap to get factual information, his own internet habits, and the twitter posts of people involved in the election aftermath in Iran. How reliable is any of this?

This article seems to be his opinion. Although I am aware of some of the little tricks he uses, he often starts sentences with: In my opionion, I personally confronted, I, I, I.... and so forth. My advice to him is to use the eyes in head to catch the overuse of the I's on his page.

I'm still on the fence about him...

Read the article yourself.

Note: Image from Kolabora, Photo credit: Robin Good.

2 comments:

  1. Misuse of the word though -- though what?
    Good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second paragraph: In the first sentence, I found your use of the colon awkward, I found a comma and a period would have worked just as well, so instead, it could read: "His credentials are top-notch, though. He teaches at Berkley, Standford, and De Montfort University in England."

    In the last paragraph, there is an omition of a word that that causes the sentence to make less sense. "My advice to him is to use the eyes in head to catch the overuse of the I's on his page." I believe what was meant was 'to use the eyes in HIS head', but I caught the wit of the sentence nonetheless.

    This is still an overall well written paragraph that I enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete